Classes of hosting solutions
A hosting service applies to stashing and/or sharing specific content on a hosting server handled by a web hosting distributor. There are various types of hosting services used for various ends, so let's take a glimpse at these. Thus, you can determine what you need, on the basis of whether you wish to own a website, email addresses, or to share files with mates and colleagues.
- File hosting: a solution offered by various hosts, which enables you to share bulky files. These could be disk images, films, audio files, archived documents, and so on. This service is also known as file storage, and its sole designation is to share files, since it does not support website uploading. Once the files are uploaded, you will either get a randomly created download link for each of them, or you will be able to see an inventory of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to open .html or .php website files in your web browser. Free-of-charge file hosting accounts are frequently supported by showing ads beside the download links, while a timer makes you wait for a particular amount of time to view them. A given file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you run a paid file hosting plan, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download at once, and also there is no limitation as far as the download speed and the file size are concerned.
These days, with the help of the cPanel hosting firms, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more faddish "cloud hosting". This is a completely untrue interpretation of the actual connotation of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting environment would assign the load between separate bunches of hosting servers in a cluster, which are committed to serving miscellaneous website hosting services (email, disk space, statistics, DNS, databases, webspace hosting Control Panel, etc.) So, the file hosting service is merely a brand of a storage space hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: comparable with file hosting; some corporations provide a hosting service for pictures solely. This hosting brand is good if you desire to share a large number of pictures with friends or partners since the service is generally free of cost. You will obtain a random link for each picture or album and you can then share this link. As with the file hosting service, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the solution cannot be used for websites.
- E-mail hosting: a service devoted to handling your e-mail box accounts. Some suppliers provide hosting solutions for web sites, but do not supply an e-mail solution. If you wish to open an e-mail address with your domain name but do not want to keep a website, then the email hosting service is what you require. You can open mailbox accounts and manage them, but there will be no hosting solution for the domains. The e-mail hosting service includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP email servers.
- Video hosting: this service permits you to upload and share video clips. You can either share a link to a specific video, or you can embed the video file in your web site that is hosted somewhere else. The advantage of using this approach instead of uploading the video file in a hosting account is that the video file brings about a certain amount of central processing unit load, so with a couple of video files and a few hundred web site visitors, you may have trouble with your hosting reserves. Embedding the video file will permit you to keep as many video files as you want to without bothering about system resources.
- Web site hosting: this is the service that you need if you wish to run a website. To some degree, it encompasses all of the aforementioned hosting sorts since, along with your web sites, you can also host pictures and files, you can have databases and mail accounts, upload video clips, etc. At Hosting NOLIMITS, for instance, you can have a peek at web hosting and dedicated hosting services that enable you to have all of the aforementioned solutions in one place. There may be limits based on the kind of hosting solution that you've opted for - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting plan, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your webspace hosting package may be better or worse compared to the routine email/file/video/image hosting packages that are conceived for specific content only.