Have you tried combining persimmon and chocolate? Here you can read about a delicious dessert with two exotic ingredients that is here to stay. Keep reading to find out how to cook it!
The main ingredients in these delicious desserts are persimmons and chocolate. Both ingredients have recently become really popular, not least because of their impressive nutritional value. As you probably know, they are now standard products in local grocery stores.
These desserts are very simple to make but they have a surprising taste and texture that appeals to both young and old. They are desserts that you are sure to add to your repertoire of treats.
A healthy dessert with great potential
Persimmons and chocolate are two ingredients that you may want to see more of in your daily diet. They are also very versatile, as you can use them in different ways: in salads, smoothies, with yogurt, and in desserts.
Persimmon is a fruit that originally comes from Japan and China, but today you can also find it in many other countries in the world. There are many different varieties, and they all stand out for their unique taste.
We can note the high content of water, fiber, and vitamins A and C from a nutritional point of view. They also provide antioxidants and other components that have exceptional benefits for our health.
Cocoa, on the other hand, comes from the American continent. Called the “food of the gods” by the Incan Indians, this bean first became popular in Europe because of its medicinal properties.
Natural cocoa does not contain the added sugar you find in other types of chocolate, and it is healthier to consume this food in its pure form. That’s the best way to take advantage of its potential benefits for the body – although experts point out that there isn’t enough scientific evidence behind these claims:
- Cocoa helps protect the cardiovascular system by lowering blood pressure.
- It contains antioxidants.
- Finally, it improves blood circulation in the brain.
How to cook a delicious persimmon and chocolate dessert
When it comes to healthy desserts, you can achieve the most optimal results with just a few ingredients. Fruit is often the main ingredient.
Today’s dessert is a variation on flan, a traditional dessert that we find in many countries, and there are as many recipes for it as there are chefs. All you need is a little imagination and you can come up with different combinations of ingredients and flavors yourself.
The most common cooking methods are to cook it in a water bath, or bain-marie, and you can use fruit and vegetable juices, or change the traditional recipe and make a sugar-free version.
Option 1: A chocolate and
dessert without sugar, eggs, or milk
This option only requires a small amount of pure cocoa and some ripe persimmons, that’s all. It only takes a few minutes to do.
Ingredients for 6 servings
- 800 g persimmons (the weight of the peeled and cut fruit)
- 60 g 100% cocoa powder
How to use
- First, peel and cut the persimmons into medium-sized pieces and blend to a creamy consistency.
- Then add cocoa and mix until you have a smooth batter.
- Then pour into serving bowls and cover with aluminum foil.
- Refrigerate for at least six hours (overnight if possible)
- Take your dessert out of the fridge and enjoy!
The creamy texture makes this dessert a hit (it may be a little different from a traditional flan dessert, but the result is at least as good).
This dessert can be included in the list of sugar-free desserts because it contains only natural sugar. It’s about the same as directly eating the fruit with cocoa.
This recipe is also excellent for many people with common food intolerances and allergies eg eggs and milk. This variant is also suitable for people with celiac disease, but then you have to be careful to use 100% cocoa.
Those who prefer a sweeter taste can choose to add some type of sweetener. This although it is always better to get used to the pure taste of the fruit. Add a sprinkle of cinnamon or vanilla to enhance the flavor if you think your dessert needs it.
Option 2: Dessert with persimmons and chocolate with eggs
This dessert is similar to the most traditional type of flan, but it is prepared with fruit as the main ingredient.
- 500 g ripe persimmons
- 40 g 100% cocoa powder
- 5 eggs
- 150 g of sugar
- 100 g of sugar for the caramel sauce
How to use
- First, peel and chop the persimmons and set aside.
- Then make the caramel sauce by heating 100g of sugar in a saucepan and a small amount of water. Allow heating gently, constantly stirring, until the sugar melts and takes on a deep brown, but not burnt, color. Immediately pour into the mold and turn the mold so that the caramel covers the bottom.
- Mix fruit and cocoa, the consistency should be thick and smooth.
- In another bowl, whisk the eggs with the rest of the sugar. Then add this mixture to the previous one and mix well. Pour everything into the mold containing the caramel and cover tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake your dessert at 180 degrees for one hour or cook it in a water bath for the same time. Your dessert will be ready when none of the pudding sticks to a skewer inserted into the center of the pan.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool completely. Then leave it in the fridge for at least two hours (you can prepare your dessert the day before you intend to serve it for better texture and taste).
You can reduce the sugar content in this recipe by skipping the caramel and instead sprinkling some chopped nuts on top when you take it out of the pan.
Chocolate and persimmon in desserts
The two versions are relatively easy and you can cook them in a short time (but you have to wait until they are completely cold before eating them). That’s why these can make two of your best desserts, and they’re perfect for any time of the week.
Remember that the first recipe is perfect as an everyday dessert, and you may want to save the second for special occasions.
Garnish your dessert with crispy wafers or cookies when serving, you can also sprinkle some chopped nuts on top.
This type of dessert is a great way to add more fruit to your diet and increase variety. The beautiful color of the persimmons gives us a clue about their remarkable contribution of vitamins, antioxidants, and beta-carotene.
Finally, chocolate lovers will enjoy the delicious taste of real chocolate. You can get used to the bitterness, so don’t be afraid to try a few times.
Namely, this is the best way to get the most out of the benefits of cocoa. This plant has been valued for thousands of years in pre-Columbian cultures in what is now Mexico.