You can make healthy vegan cheese with avocado. It’s a healthy alternative to conventional cheese and great for people following a vegan diet or those just looking to improve their diet.
As many people know, avocados are one of the most versatile and healthy foods out there. Thanks to its good taste and texture, it can even be used to make a healthy vegan cheese with oregano.
Furthermore, it is excellent for salads, smoothies, sauces, and other recipes.
Although it is not a conventional cheese, it is a recipe with lots of nutrients that can replace this ingredient in some dishes. It goes perfectly with wholemeal bread, biscuits, and other snacks.
Vegan cheese with oregano
There are many recipes for making vegetable cheese from seeds, nuts, and roots. In today’s article, however, we will make a variation that is perfect for people who want a more healthy and balanced diet.
Furthermore, it can be used in weight loss diets because it has fewer calories than traditional cheese. At the same time, it provides healthy fats, proteins, and a range of vitamins and minerals.
Would you like to try it?
- 3 medium avocados
- 4 tablespoons raw coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or Himalayan salt
- 6 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- 60 ml fermented vegetable drink (see below for instructions)
- 2 tablespoons of psyllium powder
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- Deep mixing bowls
- Round shapes
- Baking paper
- Cut the avocados into strips and remove the core.
- Put them in the blender along with coconut oil and lemon juice.
- Then add salt, nutritional yeast, and fermented vegetable drink.
- Process for two minutes and then add psyllium powder.
- Make sure you get a thick, even mixture.
- When you have the right consistency, take a large, round shape and fill it with the mixture, with baking paper in the bottom.
- Put the cheese in the fridge for at least eight hours.
- After that, take it out to make sure it’s the right consistency.
- Remove the mold and cover the cheese with oregano.
How to make a fermented vegetable drink
One question you might ask yourself when it comes time to make a vegan cheese with oregano is where to buy a fermented vegetable drink. Don’t worry, because we have a simple recipe that you can make at home.
Ingredients (for three liters)
- 2 1/2 dl buckwheat, quinoa, or Kamut wheat ( Triticum uranium )
- 3 liters of water
- 1 large glass jar
- Rubber band or string
- A piece of cloth
- Let the grain sprout. To make them, you pour them into a glass jar with water for around eight hours.
- Cover the opening of the jar with the fabric and secure it with a rubber band or string.
- Then drain the water and leave the jar facing diagonally downwards for two more days.
- After two days, rinse the jar and fill it with twice as much water.
- Let the grain soak for another 24 hours. During this period, they should make the liquid ferment.
- After 24 hours, strain the water and store it in a glass jar in the fridge. If you want, you can repeat the fermentation with the same grains two more times, but only for 12 hours.
NOTE: you can also use, among other things, lenses. The most important thing is to follow the fermentation process. If the temperature is high, the drink will ferment more and if it is cold, the process will take longer.
What can you use vegan cheese with oregano for?
Vegan cheese with oregano is a healthy option for both vegans and people who just want to improve their diet. It may differ significantly from traditional cheese, but it can be used as a substitute in many dishes.
Do not hesitate to try it with:
- Tacos and burritos