Nutrition experts recommend eating vegetarian food three times per week. This tasty chickpea curry recipe will appeal to the whole family, try it today!
Are you looking for a simple recipe to get more vegetables into your family’s diet? Then you must try this delicious curry with chickpeas and basmati rice. It is a very nutritious, tasty, and delicious meal.
Here below, we will go through the recipe, step by step. You can’t fail with this dish! And no one can resist this special taste – not even the kids!
Chickpeas contain plenty of vegetable protein, which makes them valuable in a vegetarian diet. In addition, they are also a source of soluble and insoluble fiber, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, and potassium. As for the vitamins, there are mostly E and B vitamins and folate.
Rice, on the other hand, contributes B3 and B6 vitamins, and also some protein.
The other main ingredient in this recipe, curry, is known for its antioxidant properties, as well as the anti-inflammatory effect of curcumin, which is the active ingredient in turmeric.
Curry with chickpeas, step by step
Cooking: Medium to light
Time required: 40 minutes
- 400 g cooked chickpeas
- 100 g basmati rice
- A large onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tomatoes
- Water, as needed
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 10 g fresh ginger
- 2 tsp curry spice
- 2 cloves
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 seed capsules of green cardamom
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro to taste (can be omitted)
How to cook curry with chickpeas
- Chop the onion julienne-style. Put aside.
- Then cut the tomatoes in the same style and set them aside.
- Heat a tablespoon of butter in a pan. When the butter melts, add the onion and fry over medium heat until brown.
- Grate the garlic and pour it into the pan.
- Add the grated ginger. When the garlic turns brown, it is time to add the tomatoes.
- Add the mustard seeds to the mixture and stir.
- When the liquid has boiled away, add the curry and the chickpeas.
- Pour 100 ml of water into the pan and let it boil for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- While you make the chickpea curry, add the other tablespoon of butter to another pan with the cardamom and cloves. Let the spices roast a bit, but be careful not to burn them, as this will give them a bitter taste.
- Add the rice to the water. Then cover. It will double in volume in the boiling water. Cook for 10 minutes on low heat, or as long as it says on the package. Salt and pepper.
- Serve the cooked rice with the chickpea curry on top. If you want, you can sprinkle some fresh coriander on top.
Variations on curry with chickpeas
You can add other vegetables to the chickpea curry to increase its nutritional value.
- If you want, you can also add potatoes. In that case, we recommend that you cut them into equal-sized cubes so that they cook evenly. Add the potatoes after frying the onion and garlic.
- Another good option is to add spinach or carrots to the dish. Rinse the spinach well, chop the leaves and add them at the end of the cooking time, as they will be ready very quickly. As for the carrots, it is best to put them in at the same time as the chickpeas and cut them into cubes or pennies, so they pick up the flavors in the dish.
- Do you like broccoli? You are also welcome to add that to the dish.
Other variants depend on your preferences:
- To get a creamier sauce, you can pour in coconut milk.
- Do you like spicy food? Then try using curry on chili peppers. You’re going to love it!
- Decorate with a wedge of lemon if you want to give the food a sour touch.