During the summer and warm weather, it is the perfect circumstance to enjoy the light and refreshing salads. But even though it is most common to eat a lot of salads in the summer, it is a good idea to eat salad all year round. Try these celery and green apple salad recipes to explore and experiment with new flavors. Dare to be curious about trying something new.
The combination of the tart green apple and the strong character of the celery gives the salad an original taste. At the same time, both celery and green apple are excellent foods for those who keep an extra eye on their shape or those who love to eat healthy food without compromising on taste.
The benefits of eating celery and green apple
Green apple is a fruit rich in antioxidants. Apple contains flavonoids, fiber, and plenty of vitamin C. Eating green apples is good for the heart and bones, and they make teeth and skin shine. They also keep you full, which is a big plus when you’re losing weight.
Celery is an excellent source of vitamin K, folic acid, potassium, and fiber, and it contains no calories. Its properties are perfect if you want to lower your cholesterol or blood pressure.
Celery is a good aid for weight loss and good for digestion. Its antioxidants have an anti-inflammatory effect, making it an excellent vegetable for people with diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, joint inflammation, and asthma.
As you can see, celery and green apple are not only tasty, but they are also excellent additions to a healthy diet. The following recipes contain these two ingredients which can be used in different variations. You can therefore test the different recipes and see which salad your family likes the most.
Recipe for a salad with celery and green apple
This salad with celery and green apple can be prepared easily and quickly. It is an excellent side dish that goes well with fish or white meat. You can also have it as a right in itself.
Ingredients for 4 people
- 1 bunch or about 100 g of celery
- 2 green apples
- Lemon juice (amount to taste)
- Olive oil (amount to taste)
- Salt and pepper (amount to taste)
- 5 walnuts
- 2 tablespoons of any nut
- 5 mint leaves
- Mayonnaise (optional, amount to taste)
- Wash the celery and remove the leaves, especially the dry parts. Cut the celery into small cubes
- Wash the apples. Cut them in half, remove the cores, and dice. Cover the apple pieces with a little lemon juice so they don’t brown on the surface.
- Chop the walnuts, and the other nuts and mix them together in a bowl. Add the finely chopped mint leaves, oil, salt, and pepper.
- An alternative dressing can be made with mayonnaise. When serving the salad, you can top it with, for example, almond flakes and peanuts.
To get a variation on the salad, you can use the following recipe for the dressing:
- 5 tablespoons Dijon mustard (100 g)
- 3 tablespoons of honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Mix the Dijon mustard with the rest of the ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together with a fork until everything is well combined.
- Pour over the salad.
Gourmet salad with celery and green apple
In this recipe, you can also use other ingredients, for example, avocado gives a nice creaminess to the salad. The salad becomes “gourmet” with shrimp and artificial crab sticks.
Ingredients for 6 people
- 3 green apples (Granny Smith for example)
- 1 bunch of celery
- 1 small onion
- ½ avocado
- The juice of 1 lemon
- 300 g peeled frozen prawns
- 10 crabsticks (artificial crab meat)
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise (60 g)
- Salt (to taste)
- Peel the apples and remove the core. Cut into small cubes and cover them with lemon juice to prevent them from browning. Set aside.
- Remove the leaves from the celery and cut them into pieces the size of the apple pieces. Set aside.
- Peel the avocado, remove the core and cut it into cubes. Cover with lemon juice and set aside.
- Peel the onion and chop it finely. Rinse and dice all the crabsticks, and set aside.
- Blanch the prawns in salted water for one minute. Then move the shrimp directly into a bowl of ice water. Dry them well and cut them into slightly smaller pieces.
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Season with salt, and add the mayonnaise. Mix well to make sure the dressing is evenly spread over the salad.
- Serve portions of the salad on a bed of lettuce leaves.