Marinated tofu or tofu burger? It doesn’t matter which one you choose – they are both very good! In this article, we’ll explore some ways you can use tofu in your cooking.
Tofu is a vegan product made from soy milk. Thanks to that, all the dishes you use this in are packed with protein and are also low in fat. Soy is also a good source of both calcium and vitamins. Its egg-like taste and texture go well with almost any recipe. Today we give you a couple of recipes with tofu that you can easily prepare at home. Both recipes have many health benefits and taste really delicious too!
Soy in all its forms is widely popular among vegans and vegetarians. Tofu is made from soy.
The process used to make tofu is very similar to the process used in cheese making. However, tofu does not contain lactose, which is good news for anyone who is lactose intolerant.
Benefits of eating tofu
- For starters, tofu is made from soybeans, a legume, so tofu is high in high-quality protein. In fact, tofu contains all nine essential amino acids.
- Tofu also contains essential fatty acids, vitamin E, and lecithin needed to balance your cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
- Tofu is also rich in calcium. It contains 159 mg per 100 grams. In addition, it also contains several different vitamins and minerals, including iron and zinc.
- Because tofu contains isoflavones, along with calcium and protein, tofu is actually a very suitable food for balancing estrogen. So it is often suggested that women going through menopause should include tofu in their diet.
- Finally, it is rich in fiber and also contains a few calories.
However, you should keep in mind that soy and all its derivatives generally also have large amounts of oxalate. Therefore, you should consult your doctor about how much tofu you should include in your diet, especially if your digestive system has a tendency to use calcium oxalate to form kidney stones .
Two recipes with tofu
- 200 g tofu, cut into cubes and drained
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 4 to 5 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sesame seeds
- Oil to fry in
How to use
- Start by mixing the marinade. Mix oil and the finely chopped clove of garlic in a bowl. Add honey, thyme, oregano, salt, and pepper. Mix everything well.
- Then add the tofu cubes and leave to marinate in the fridge for 4-5 hours. The longer you let the tofu marinate in the fridge, the more flavorful it will be. Turn the cubes about halfway through so the tofu can absorb the marinade on all sides.
- When the tofu is ready, mix the flour and sesame seeds on a plate. Then roll the tofu in the mixture so that all sides of the cube are covered.
- Heat up a decent amount of oil and leave the tofu in until browned.
- Then remove it from the oil and place it on an absorbent paper towel to drain excess oil.
- Then the tofu is ready to serve, which you can do as a snack with your favorite sauce or as a side dish. Have a nice meal!
Recipe with tofu: vegetarian burger
- 250 g tofu, cut into small pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- Coriander or parsley, chopped
- Red bell pepper (or chili to taste for more heat), finely chopped
- 1 egg
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Oil for frying
- First, brown the onion in a frying pan with a little oil until soft and translucent, then set aside.
- Mix tofu with garlic and cilantro, or parsley, in a bowl until you have a smooth mixture.
- Then add the fried onion, egg, breadcrumbs, and red pepper (or chili). Season with salt and pepper. Mix well to get a batter that you can then shape into patties.
- Turn the steaks in breadcrumbs and then fry in oil.
- You can eat these tofu steaks together with your favorite dish. You can also use the steaks to prepare a healthier version of the “classic” hamburger with bread.